Madness in the Method

“Though this be madness, yet there is method in ‘t.” – Polonius in Hamlet This blog is for the reflections, thoughts, rants, and discussions of Mrs. Caldwell’s Senior English classes at Mountain Brook High School. Come and check out the madness. There is method to all of it, I assure you!

February 28, 2007

Yack Pack

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 8:38 pm

I am in the process of giving you feedback on your 2nd drafts using a software called Yack Pack. This online service allows me to record my feedback and allows you the ability to retrieve it at any time. I would like to have your comments regarding this service. Let me know if you have not received the invitation to the Pack. I took your email from your Turnitin.com account, so hopefully it is correct. What do you think? Have you gotten the invitation or the message about your 2nd draft? Since we had no time for a conference, I think this is a good alternative. Go to http://yackpack.net to learn more.

31 Comments

1.   Guerry1 — February 28, 2007 @ 9:41 pm    

I think this is a really cool idea! It is just a new way for us to get feelback on our papers. I’m not quite sure how it works but I’m sure with some time it will become just as helpful as the comments on word. Those did not click in until the second time we used them, and they are really nice.

2.   Gingerc1 — March 1, 2007 @ 9:29 am    

I think the Yack Pack is really cool. It was nice to hear your comments on my paper. Also, it was very convienent because I was allowed to listen to the comments whatever time. I listened to it at ten, and it was very nice. Also, giving feedback on my paper is always helpful. It is nice to know and be assured what in my paper is good and what needs improvments. The program was very simple to use. I think it is neat!!

3.   stclaird1 — March 1, 2007 @ 9:30 am    

I did recieve the email about the Yack Pack and i do think this is a good idea, but at the same time we do so much online that it gets confusing on what process works which way. I am glad though, that we can get the feedback at anytime and that it is very available. I do agree that since we did not have conferences this is a very good alternative.

4.   EleanorM1 — March 1, 2007 @ 9:53 am    

I think this is a pretty neat tool. Since we did not have time for 2nd Draft conferences, this is a great alternative. There are so many random programs out there that really could help us and you always seem to find them! I like this Yack Pack thing.

5.   JoannaS5 — March 1, 2007 @ 2:43 pm    

I have received the invitation and joined, but I have not received the message. So far as I know I have no idea how to work the thing. It looks crazy but hopefully will be a successful alternative to one on one conferences.

6.   chuckw7 — March 2, 2007 @ 8:03 am    

I think it is going to be very helpful. Its just like a conference except we don’t get to ask you questions, we just get to hear how to change our paper. And the best part is that you can listen to it over and over and over. I’m not sure that it will be as good as a conference, but when you are in a time crunch I think it will definitely be beneficial to us and our grades. I hope I get to use it later in life, because its so cool to leave voice messages on the computer.

7.   allieb1 — March 2, 2007 @ 8:33 am    

I think that the idea of the yack pack is interesting. When I first got the invitation email I was very confused, but after you explained it in class yesterday it made more sense. I have not received the message about my 2nd draft. I hope that this will help me finish up my paper. I think that this will be a faster alternative to writing conferences.

8.   BrookingP5 — March 2, 2007 @ 10:58 am    

I think this sounds like an interesting way to revise our second drafts. I think it sounds helpful because conferences are usually beneficial. Hopefully our second drafts were pretty close to being the complete draft, so maybe with your input from the yack pack we can quickly have our papers completely done.

9.   Johnmm1 — March 2, 2007 @ 11:08 am    

I’m kind of a traditionalist when it comes to research paper grading. I like printouts and writing in the margins. I just feel like this is a more personal revision. On the other hand, times are changing and the ways things are graded and transfered are changing. So with this I will give it a shot and try it out with an open mind. Yack Pack seems pretty legit and nicely set up so I will check it out.

10.   ChrisO5 — March 2, 2007 @ 1:15 pm    

I think the Yakpack is a pretty good idea. Its cool that you can record your thoughts about our paper and send them to us. The only thing I don’t like is the fact that we can’t talk back with you in person. The overall idea is pretty cool though, and I think it will be quite helpful.

11.   StuartS5 — March 2, 2007 @ 1:15 pm    

I think it is a good way to get feedback for our 2nd rough drafts. Although my message is not up yet, it should be helpful. Since we did not have the opportunity to have conferences, this is a great alternative. We should be able to edit our papers with the help you provide.

12.   MeredithA3 — March 2, 2007 @ 2:07 pm    

I think that Yack Pack could be successful. It would be nice for a change. It would also be nice to physically hear what we need to work on intstead of having to read it from a piece of paper. We shall see though. I am always up for trying new things.

13.   MatthewH7 — March 2, 2007 @ 3:13 pm    

I have not gotten a letter, but when you showed it to us in class i thought it was a good idea. I like it better than peer reviews because wes didn’t do my paper so i did not get a peer review. I think that it is a good thing and will help us to do a good job on our next draft. I still have not gotten the invitation thing but i cant wait to get it.

14.   natalies7 — March 2, 2007 @ 3:13 pm    

I think Yack Pack is a great idea. It introduces us to a new program on the computer. It makes revising a paper much easier when being told exactly what to do and exactly what is wrong. It is a creative way to give feedback and facilitates the correction process. This is a good alternative to a conference because we are getting direct feedback.

15.   Gordon — March 2, 2007 @ 6:09 pm    

I think the yak pack is going to be helpful. It is a lot easier to get feed back this way and you can go back and access it at any time in case you forget what was said. Also, you can make more detailed comments on the yack pack thing than you can on a piece of paper. Since we didn’t get conferences for our second draft, I think this is definitely the best alternative. I think it’s overall a good idea.

16.   LaceyS7 — March 2, 2007 @ 9:53 pm    

I think that the Yack Pack is a very good idea. While it takes away actual one on one communication in which I could ask any questions directly at the time, it will no doubt save a lot of time and effort. Since we do not have time for conferences, this serves as a good alternative since I think that feedback is necessary. I think, while it isn’t better than conferences, it will be a good alternative.

17.   mattl5 — March 3, 2007 @ 9:53 am    

I think that yack pack is a good idea. Its an easy way for you to give us feedback on our paper. It is also easier for us to hear what we need to specifically do opposed to looking on what you write on our paper. This will be a good tool to use for us.

18.   Frankb3 — March 4, 2007 @ 6:25 pm    

Hey Mrs. C,
    Whats up? I think the yak pack is pretty cool. Unfortunantly, I have not recieved my 2nd draft on this service yet. Im wondering when your going to give them back to us, but maybe you already have and mine might not be working. Oh well, Im sure it will be fine. I already left a couple people messages on the yak pack. Its pretty neat. Have a good day.

19.   CaseyF5 — March 4, 2007 @ 8:28 pm    

I like the idea of Yack Pack. If it works it has great potential. The only thing is I just tried to receive a message and all it did was say connecting for 5 minutes and it never worked. That is the downfall of using technology. If it does not work, I have no feedback on my paper.

20.   davidw3 — March 5, 2007 @ 12:06 am    

I have recieved the Yack Pack invitation. I think it will be interesting to have my paper edited verbally. I think this way I will be able to hear my mistakes better. I am glad that you found this service because I feel it will be better than hand written comments. It will probably help us improve our paper faster also.

21.   adamso7 — March 5, 2007 @ 12:14 pm    

This is a great idea. I think that writing confrences would have been better, but we have to do the most with what we have got, right. All it really is, is an imformal writing confrence. So far Yack Pack has worked great, and i would not mind doing it again. I did teceive your e-mail. This is a great deal of help to the, cramped for time, paper process.

22.   CharlesB7 — March 5, 2007 @ 3:40 pm    

I think the YackPak can be really helpful. Since we were not able to have a conference I think this is the next best thing. It is a good way to across complete ideals about someone’s paper. For someone like me, I need as much help I can get and you can get more from listening to what someone has to say than from when they write it down because they cannot get all their true thoughts on paper.

23.   RebeccaO7 — March 5, 2007 @ 3:42 pm    

I think that the YakPak is a very good idea. I am glad that we will actually get verbal feedback and that will make most of us feel a little bit better. It is sure to be more in depth than just writing on our drafts so I am ready to get my feedback. I received the invitation but I haven’t gotten the 2nd draft feedback. Hopefully I will get it tonight!

24.   lakel1 — March 7, 2007 @ 2:27 pm    

it is easy to follow the verbal feedback with the paper. this way at any time you can always go back to what your teacher said as many times as you want even though you are not in class.

25.   TonyC1 — March 8, 2007 @ 9:22 am    

The new yackpack system is pretty cool. It allows us to receive feedback verbally and gives us a chance to hear someone read our paper. I think that when someone else reads your paper to you, you realize how good or bad the paper is. You dont have to worry about messy handwriting but instead you get the occasional yawn or cough. Overall its a cool new thing.

26.   Jason R1 — March 8, 2007 @ 9:31 am    

I have really enjoyed using the new YackPack for our revision work. It allows us to pause and stop after each of the comments. Also it is very nice hearing your paper read out loud. I can understand the reader’s first reaction to what she is reading and maybe have something to change from that.

27.   JayF3 — March 8, 2007 @ 11:19 am    

I like yackpack, but it was difficult because I did not get an email from yackpack inviting me on so I only got to hear 3 minutes of it at school. It was also confusing because I got 3 other peoples paper analysis, so I had to figure out which one was mine. Yackpack is a good idea in theory, we need to refine the yackpack techniques before we bust them out on the biggest grade of the year next time…

28.   MattO3 — March 8, 2007 @ 11:27 am    

It sounds like a pretty good idea, but it created some problems cause i didn’t get an invite to join a class. This became a problem because I didnt get any feedback on my second draft. It is cool that you can record what you are thinking because it will give us a better understanding of what you mean by analyzing your tone and expressions. Right now we are currently arguing about you giving us too much work and I think a mutiny is about to happen.

29.   RyanH5 — March 9, 2007 @ 2:00 pm    

I think this is a great program. It can be very useful for the teacher to communicate to the student on their time. I was one of the few who’s feedback didn’t go through, but I think it would have been very helpful. YackPack will probably fix that problem though. Overall I think it is great new thing that uses the technology we have can really help.

30.   Miller Lundberg — March 9, 2007 @ 2:04 pm    

In my opinion i dont think Yak pak is a good idea. The possiblity for it to mess up is very high and the results aren’t that good. It is a lot harder to correct a paper from verbal comments rather comments written on your paper. Overall i think it is a waste and is pointless

31.   jonathan — April 2, 2010 @ 7:55 pm    

I like how the software makes allusion to the fifteen year-old toy that use to work as a voice recorder and repeater.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI